Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Wolf! Wolf!

I know it's best to be prepared. I do. But once again the media sensationalized the story of a storm and whipped the public up into a frenzy - for nothing. Well, I guess not for NOTHING. We did get the storm this time. But Tropical Storm Edouard turned out to be a dud. The eye made landfall just east of here, and with the storm moving west we got a good bit of it. Which included rain and wind. Not bad rain and bad wind, just rain and wind. I think the news people are actually disappointed there are not stories of damage to report on. In an article from Galveston today there was a statement that said - and I quote - "One tree was reportedly damaged." Where I live we never even lost power.

After Hurricane Katrina, people were scared. And when Hurricane Rita came just a few weeks later, it was mayhem. Many many people (including myself) have said they will never again go thru what we went thru with Rita. But every time there's a storm in the Gulf - heck, even out in the Caribbean - the news people start. It happened just a few weeks ago with Dolly. And then, nothing really happens. Eventually the public is going to stop listening when they cry "Wolf!" - and then it may be The Big One. It may even be me that doesn't listen. But I get so sick of the weather experts building it up to be a monumental event, and then we just get a rainy day. cjh has a good question posed on her blog today: "Who can convey information without trying to over-dramatize it?" There needs to be a happy medium. Because one day the wolf really will be there.

7 comments:

DD said...

this is an excellent point. I teach my communciation students to be aware of when the media is fear mongering (which is pretty much all the time). We've begun to equate "news" with "terrifying" and thus only the scary stuff gets represented.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

I'm glad to hear it was nothing. I remember that when I lived in Florida--all the build up and then barely a drop of rain. I so agree with the news source comment: wouldn't it be great to hear stuff without the drama and scare tactics?

Kim said...

I agree with you! When living further up north and we had a huge snowfall every time after that every time they predicted snow everyone would freek out and head to the stores and buy everything out. Then they got to where they didn't and a big one came. Power was out everywhere and people were stuck because they stopped believeing the media. They learned the hard way. Everyone.

jennyonthespot said...

It's frustrating that we have to questions "warnings"... I am just glad you didn't have to kick into "survival mode", but now - with all those flashlights and batteries, maybe ya'll need to play a good game of midnight tag!

D... said...

You know how I feel about all that nonsense. Which is exactly why I don't watch the media. Except everyone around me does & relays it me. And it's not just weather, it's with EVERYTHING. I blame 24 hr. coverage. They have to do something to fill in all that time. Bah humbug!

Anonymous said...

Living in South Florida, I feel your pain! Ever since Hurricane Andrew all those years ago, the news here just loves to sensationalize bad weather. They start warning us of hurricanes and tropical storms when they're still off the coast of Africa.
After Hurricane Wilma (which was shortly after Katrina only not as bad), I was scared straight and since then, I've always followed hurricane prepardness guides to a T. And even though we're always grateful it's "nothing", it does suck to do all that preparing for nothing. lol

HDMac said...

Totally agree!