Monday, July 02, 2007

Dream House

I got an e-mail from an old friend recently and she told me that she and her husband were getting ready to build their "dream house". That got me to thinking - what defines one's "dream house"? If I won the lottery, what would my dream house look like? What would yours look like? Does anyone really have their dream house? Barbie has hers, altho it has changed over the years so I'm thinking she gets bored with it and needs an upgrade every so often. I'm sure my friend and her husband bought a nice piece of land somewhere - after all, location is everything - and have drawn up plans to build a lovely house with all the bells and whistles. There are a plethora of home improvement shows on TV now to show us just how crappy our stuff is and tempt us with the latest and greatest gizmos and gadgets - things that make life more convenient, or things that are just plain cool.

I don't think my dream house can be built. I think it must be found. My dream house is old - an historic Victorian house with real hardwood floors and a big front porch. Something like this in Beaufort, South Carolina:


Or this in Natchez, Mississippi:

Or this (OK, this is cjh's house, but I do covet it!):

I don't need anything too fancy - I like the oldness of them. Just updated enough to make life comfortable (I do need my dishwasher, microwave, indoor plumbing, etc.). But you can't build houses like that. They must be discovered - like a hidden treasure. Perhaps one day I'll discover that treasure for myself, and then my dream house can be a reality!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have a dream house. Altho, there is a house on Green Tee that I love to drive past.

Crazy Working Mom said...

I'm with ya girlfriend! I don't think it can be done especially with a husband and wife. There'll always be compromises on some things. But, on an unlimited budget, one could come awfully close, hmmm?

Valtool said...

My wife, Amy would be all about the Victorian, she loves any house with a wrap-around porch. There are some awesome ones in Newnan, GA.

cjm said...

My house would just like to thank you for a mention. It doesn't get much blog time at all outside of mine... :o) Even though I really do love it, there's always something you'd like to change. But for me that's part of the fun. You know, fun or headache...depends on the day.

The Owners said...

I really like the older homes too. They have so much character. I just wish I could find one that didn't need thousands in upgrades. The first home pictured is gorgeous. Just about anything beats my 1984 ranch home, blah.

Anonymous said...

Bryan and I are thinking about starting to think about buying something. And we like the older stuff with character. So I'm with you all the way!

None of that cookie-cutter McMansions for us!!!