Sunday, July 08, 2007

1987

Twenty years ago Ronald Reagan was President, the New York Giants won the Superbowl, the world population reached 5 billion, and Baby Jessica fell down a well. It was a time when the show Married With Children hit the air and everyone learned how to "Walk Like an Egyptian." Iran Contra was in news, evangelist Jim Bakker resigned and Liberace died. And I graduated from high school.

Last night I attended my 20th high school reunion - I was really undecided about whether to go or not, but I'm so glad I did - I really did enjoy it. My graduating class was large - nearly 1000 students - and there was a good turn-out at the reunion. It was a good thing we had name-tags because often I would recognize a face but be unable to recall a name - or I would see the name, look at the face, and think, "No way!" Some were grayer, some balder, some heavier - one or two have had cosmetic surgery (yes, I noticed!). I saw a lot of old friends - talked with a lot of people for the first time in 20 years - danced and drank beer and had a good time (how can you NOT have fun with 80's music playing?)! Most of the people that I wanted to see were there, but not all. My high school boyfriend who ended up breaking my heart into a million pieces within a year of graduation was not there - too bad because I wanted him to see what he missed out on! Ha! But another person I really connected with my senior year was there, and it was great catching up with him. He's a really good guy, was a good friend to me back then, and I have never forgotten him - in fact I still have notes and poems and things he wrote to me. I hope that we can keep in touch now.

I stepped back in time last night - and it was a fun trip. Can't wait for the next one!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are sexy, we are great, we're the class of 88! Your post will be me next year. ;) I'm glad you went and had a great time. I knew you'd always regret it if you didn't. I do hope you keep in touch with your friend. I still keep in touch with mine ocassionally and there is nothing like being friends with someone who once left you notes that made you feel special.

Unknown said...

Thats a cool post. I remember crying when baby Jessica was pulled out.Stop by Valtools Box today, he loves comments

Stacey said...

Oh, I'm very very glad you had fun! I don't know what it is for me but at about 20 years, I started missing my old friends sooo much!

PS--no worries, very sure that heartbreaker boy will hear what he missed. Somehow these things just get around, lol. Pray for me, it's VBS week! xoxo

Valtool said...

I'm two summers away from my 20th reunion. I made my 10th and thoroughly enjoyed it. Somehow I was listed as MIA for number 5, though I know people knew I was in Florida.

I look back and feel as if my senior year of high school was the best year of my life. (Of course certain events of individual years like my wedding and such counter this), but if there was ever to be a year that I could go back and revisit, it would be 1988-89 school year.

cjm said...

Do you know that Baby Jessica has a child of her own now? Crazy stuff. I made it to my 10th and really enjoyed it, too. Glad you went!

Eddie said...

How fun!

The Owners said...

Glad you went and had a good time. I'm definitely looking forward to my next one.

Hootin Anni said...

Wow!! Sounds like you had a blast...and to catch up with your boy friend [notice I didn't make that one word...'cause you said 'friend'] and now be able to continue your friendship through the next years sounds super!

That's so cool.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a nice time. I went to my 10 year last year and I gotta tell ya, I did not enjoy it. High school was not a good time for me. I was shy in school and did not have many friends. I will not go back to another reunion.

But, I'm glad you had a great time.

Stacey G said...

Great!! My HS class prez is rumored to be a raging alcoholic so now reunions for us.

Kim said...

WOW! It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I never heard when my 20 year reunion was. I graduated in 1985...maybe the next time I'll hear and go.

80's ROCK!

Anonymous said...

My 20 year high school reunion is coming up next month, but I decided not to go. I'm not a very social person, and even if I was, I doubt that I'd have anything in common with my former classmates (I'm probably the only single one with no kids).

But I'm glad that you had a great time! Wow, almost a thousand people in your class? And I thought mine was big at 600 :)