Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Crazy Lady Say What??

***SCROLL DOWN FOR WORDLESS WEDNESDAY***

Whoopi Goldberg has started her stint on The View, and already she's stirring up controversy. She is actually DEFENDING Michael Vick! Kind-of the "he didn't know any better" defense. According to Whoopi, "where he comes from" in the South, dogfighting isn't that unusual.
"It's like cockfighting in Puerto Rico," she said. "There are certain things that are indicative to certain parts of the country." She said that for many people, dogs are sport, and it appeared it took awhile for Vick to realize that he was up against serious charges. "I just thought it was interesting, because it seemed like a light went off in his head when he realized this was something that the entire country didn't appreciate," she said.

Ummm....EXCUSE ME???? Maybe - just MAYBE - if Vick were some kid from the sticks who was being raised to fight dogs and had never known any different, this could be a plausible excuse. But this man is/was a professional athlete! A grown man who knew right from wrong! The abuse and torture of his dogs was despicable, and he had to know that. How on EARTH could anyone defend his actions? I'm from the South and I find it reprehensible, and to generalize Southerners in that way would be as bad as me saying that she's defending him because he's black. Which I'm not doing.

Come on, Whoopi - we thought you were gonna be so much better than Rosie!

**UPDATE**

Whoopi is covering her butt today, apologizing and backpedaling like crazy. Do we give her the benefit of the doubt on this one??

11 comments:

Patois42 said...

My husband was telling me about this yesterday and I said, oh, excellent, I've got my Jump One, Jump Twosday for next week: Whoopi vs. Rosie. WTF was she thinking? Having never watched The View, I don't know if they're intentionally picking women who speak without thinking or what.

Melissa said...

So here in Cincinnati there is a radio station with Whoopi on it and she just kept going on and on this morning about how she was taken out of context. I don't exactly enjoy listening to her, it's just the clearest station to wake up to. Who knows! I didn't see The View, or know what she said, but that's her side from the radio anyway.

Katie Lady said...

I saw it and didn't really think anything of it. I don't think she was defending his actions at all, otherwise those other 3 would have been all over her.

Jerri Ann said...

I agree with Katie in that I don't think she was defending him, I think what she said is true....but...there's always that but right? But.....I do think that in the Michael Vick case.....he probably was socialized enough to know better just as you said.

I love Whoopi and was more than a little excited to find out she would be on The View. So excited I had our satellite turned back on and got a DVR.

Again, I think she has a valid point about not thinking it was wrong.....but not that MIchael Vick was the one to use that analogy on. Personally I hear people around me discuss cockfighting and dogfighting at least once a week.

As offense as it may be as southern for her to say that.....in some degree it might be true..I, however, didn't know it was a southern thing...I thought everybody did it, therefore, I plea that her analogy would be right for me. I didn't say I think it is right to do that to animals, but I did say I thought it was something lots of people did in lots of places and apparently it isn't. I"m not Michael Vick and as much as it pains me to say that a professional athlete is more "socialized" than I am, the fact is, he has been exposed to way more than I'll ever be exposed to in a lifetime.

Ok, novel over!

Anonymous said...

Maybe they MADE her say it to stir up controversy for this year's show. They've got to have some to get folks to watch! heh heh heh

I agree with you 100% that he is grown and knew exactly what he was doing!!

StaceyG said...

Yeah, the whole point of being on a show like The View is to stir up talk. What better way to do that (no matter how unfortunate it may be)? It's got you talking and writing about it, doesn't it?

Barb said...

She's only backpedaling because I'm sure there was a LOT of negative feedback.

Stacey said...

AHHHHHHH OMG I LOVE THIS POST!!!! I hadn't heard about this, B/S--wow this woman is going to be as much fun as Rosie isn't she?! Already havin to apologize, as well she should. I'm glad you wrote this. I personally think that if she's eating crow, then it's because she read this and she knows not to mess with you. Okay now I'm gonna have to start watching The View again. xoxo

Stacey said...

By the way--IF it is something common to Southerners (which ones?) then I am appalled. No, don't think so. If it's common in certain areas, then they are sick sick sick people.

The Owners said...

All I can say is give me a break.

I stopped watching the view after Meredith left.

I was seriously bummed when they picked Whoopi as a co-host. I've never liked her, with one exception - The Color Purple.

Lala said...

The View certainly didn't upgrade with the newest "replacement"... I am a GRITS (VA born and bred) and I find it HIGHLY OFFENSIVE to make such a GENERALIZED statement...

I am NOT a View watcher... but I can only hope that MS. Goldberg last ONLY as long as MS. O'Donell did... But we certainly can't "blame" Babs now can we?

Lala :o)