Sunday, October 28, 2007

Is my mommy gonna get lucky tonight?


It was several months ago, I believe - the USO Family and the Bubba's Sis Family were out together and decided to go to Barnes & Noble. We all head our separate ways in there - the men go one way, the women another, the kids yet another. So D and I are browsing about and we come across a table of High School Musical Magic 8 Balls. Cool! We decide to ask the Magic 8 Ball a question (come on, you know you would, too!). D picks one up and jokingly asks, "Am I going to get lucky tonight?" Her answer: "All signs point to NO." We giggle. Then we hear it. Unbeknownst to us, Daughter had walked up to the table, too, and thought she'd have better luck with another Magic 8 Ball....

"IS MISS D GONNA GET LUCKY TONIGHT?"

D and I just looked at each other, trying so hard not to laugh. Then Lamb joins in.

"IS MY MOMMY GONNA GET LUCKY TONIGHT?"

By now D and I are hysterical with laughter. Those sweet, innocent little voices asking such questions of a Magic 8 Ball! And not in a bookstore-quiet voice! People were starting to stare.

Apparently the girls couldn't get a satisfactory answer, so they kept asking,

"IS MY MOMMY GONNA GET LUCKY TONIGHT? IS MISS BUBBA'S SIS GONNA GET LUCKY TONIGHT?"

Now we are literally sitting in the floor, doubled over with laughter, tears rolling down our faces. The girls think we are upset because we're not going to get lucky. "Don't worry," they tell us. "You'll get lucky soon!"

If only they knew we were perfectly happy with "All signs point to NO!"

Someday, when they are much, much older and know what "getting lucky" really means, we will remind them of this incident. I can't wait to see their faces.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That would have had me cracking up!

cjm said...

Too funny! I love that they kept asking and "not in a bookstore-quiet voice."

Katie Lady said...

Oh my goodness, if they only knew!!! They would be sooooo embarrassed!

Misty DawnS said...

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely hilarious! You guys sound like so much fun!

Patois42 said...

When they first realize what it meant, a few years from now, they will be so disgusted. Like, ewwwwww!

D... said...

We finally collected ourselves and met up with our guys. We still had the giggle fits and I'm sure we looked like we had gone thru the ringer with our smudged eyes. We tried to retell the story but the laughter prevented it from coming out coherently. They just looked at us.

It's one of my favorite memories. My muscles still hurt thinking about all that laughter!

One of the girls will be horrified. The other girl has Bear for a brother so I'm pretty sure nothing shocks or embarrasses her anymore.

D... said...

I meant to add that I'm not sure people were staring because the girls weren't using bookstore-quiet voices or because Bubba's Sis & I were laughing so hard.

Stacey said...

Shame! For shame I say! I daresay Barnes & Noble will be locking up the M8s when the USO and B/S families approach their front doors next!

But....it is hilarious! Thanks for the funny.