Thursday, January 24, 2008

How a tiny plastic baby messed up my plans. And a very important message. Read on.

This morning after I took the kids to school I was going to head over to the lab to have some blood drawn - just a general health screening as party of my annual exam - but I had to be fasting to do it. Fasting is not easy for me. But instead of making my cup of hot tea as soon as my feet hit the floor this morning, I abstained.

The kids wanted King Cake for breakfast - I bought a delicious strawberry-filled one at the store yesterday. But of course, I had to hide the baby in it first. So I poked him in there - real deep so he wouldn't easily be found - and covered the evidentiary hole with more gooey icing, then proceeded to lick all that yummy icing off my fingers. Oops. No blood tests today.

I did have my annual mammogram today - to anyone out there dreading this procedure, I can say in all honesty IT'S NOT BAD! I'd much rather do a mammogram than the whole visit with the gyn and all that involves (which I did last week). It is SO IMPORTANT for women to have annual mammography screening. PLEASE do not put this off - it could save your life. Early detection of anything is your best bet. Just ask Bubba's Mom. She'll tell you.

So the moral of the story is, take care of yourself, have annual checkups and screenings, and don't lick the icing off your fingers if you are supposed to be fasting. It counts.

7 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Glad it all went well. Great cartoon!

We must be related. I start my day with a cup of tea as well!!

D... said...

Yes, NO icing for breakfast!

And click that button on the sidebar to help donate free mammos to those in need.

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Amen, Sister D! I was actually suprised when my Gen. dr said I didn't have to have a "squeeshy" until after 40 (even though my Mum had cancer). We'll see what my OB/GYN says.

cjm said...

Glad you're taking care of yourself. And icing would have only messed up a small portion of your labs... :o) Where did you buy a good King Cake around there?

The Owners said...

I too have cheated on my fast before bloodwork, by accident of course. Unlike you, I still went :), bad, I know.

D... said...

Jen, my ob/gyn said to wait until I'm 40. I was thinking it should have been 35 or get a baseline before 40. So, anyway, still haven't been squeeshed, but the time is fastly approaching.

Jim and Jami said...

Love the Toon