Thursday, April 20, 2006

The DaVinci Code

OK, I am a little behind the times, but I am currently reading The DaVinci Code. It has been on my "To Read" list for some time, but I was finally convinced to pick it up after church on Sunday; this coming Sunday our preacher is starting a sermon series on the book - a "search for the truth" as he calls it. With the release of the movie less than a month away, millions of Americans will come away from it with a distorted viewpoint about Jesus, presented in a way that sounds surprisingly plausible; the line between fact and fiction will blur. I had heard rumors of the controversies within the book, but now that I am reading it for myself I am seeing how this could shake the beliefs of many Christians. I know what I believe. This book has not changed that. But just how powerful will this piece of fiction be? What questions will people be asking? Was Mary Magdalene really Jesus' wife and the mother of His child? Did the church suppress the truth and fabricate Jesus' claim to divinity? Is the Bible, as we have it, really accurate and authentic? Did Jesus really come back from the dead? I think that God can and WILL use this moment and this book and movie for His glory! What an opportunity for believers to set straight the claims presented in the book and movie and discuss Christianity with others! If one person is brought to Christ thru this experience, then it is well worth it.

And by the way, I just don't see Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. He is SO Harrison Ford!

5 comments:

Editor in Chief said...

Now see, I thought of Matt Damon as Langdon as I read the book. But I totally had Audrey Tattou as the hot French chick.

Are you enjoying it? I thought it was really good. But, a piece of fiction, nonetheless.

Timmie Smith said...

Harrison Ford was the Robert Langdon I had in mind as well. I had listened to a little of an audio version of the book before I picked it up and the reader aparently had Ford in mind too based on the voice he used for the character.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I finished it and I loved it! I can't wait to hear what our pastor has to say about it. Next I'm going to read Angels and Demons.

Bubba's Mom said...

Definitely not Tom Hanks - I don't care if he now has intellectual-look long hair for this movie. But, if it were Harrison Ford, he'd have to have more than the one expression that he uses now in his movies - slightly confused maybe - or - perplexed? Lots of brow furrowing.

Wes Raine said...

When I read the Da Vinci code, I couldn't help but think that it was a poor man's Foucault's Pendulum. That being said, I did enjoy it as it was a much easier read than Umberto Eco's book and was tailor made for a movie adaptation. All the book really needed was stage directions and it could have passed for a screenplay.

I think the controversy is much ado about nothing. People are going to believe what they believe and a book of fiction isn't going to change anything.

And if you think you can solve some riddles yourself, try out this online game that was released when the book first came out. I played it the night that I finished the book and had a blast doing it!