Tuesday, April 29, 2008
I'll start with Daughter. The writer. The actress (she earned 4 Superior and 1 Excellent rating at the last Drama Festival, earning her another Five Star Trophy). And now, the National Junior Honor Society Member. She'll be inducted Monday night. We are so proud.
Little Son is doing fantastic as well. After a one-on-one interview with the 6th Grade Band Director, he is going to be playing the trombone in the school band next year! We've already reserved one and it will be waiting for him in the band hall on the first day of school. He'll be attending the same school Daughter attends now - it's a magnet school for gifted and talented students. He exhibits the "gifted" at school all the time. The "talented"? Well, over the weekend he taught himself to juggle. He can juggle two balls with one hand, or three balls with two hands. We are so proud.
So Daughter's academic and literary skills will probably lead her to a career as an author, or perhaps a teacher. Little Son's trombone and juggling skills will lead him to.......um......the circus?
Like I said. SO proud.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Friday, April 25, 2008
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I would have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, and all you need is a light jacket.
- Miss Congeniality, 2000
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BFF D... - I LOVE YOU LIKE CRAZY, GIRL!
I made you a cake:
Have the best day EVER! See you tonight!
Name something you would categorize as weird.
the Yearning for Zion polygamist cult that was just raided in West Texas
What color was the last piece of food you ate?
brown (It was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup!)
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest, how much do you enjoy being alone?
8 - I enjoy time to myself, but not ALL the time.
Fill in the blank: I will _________ vote for ___________ in _______.
I will NOT vote for HILLARY in NOVEMBER.
Describe your sleeping habits.
Pretty wacky; I stay up late, get up early (not by choice!), and take a nap during the day (most days, but not all).
Thursday, April 24, 2008
As much as I love music and my mp3 player, I just had to get in on this meme! I found it over at Julie's blog - ilovegoaliesplits. If you want to play along, be sure to leave me a comment so I can come by and read yours! I love to see what kinds of music people listen to!
SONG 2: "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by The Georgia Satellites
SONG 4: "White Wedding" by Billy Idol
SONG 6: "Tonight I Wanna Cry" by Keith Urban
SONG 7: "The Nearness of You" by Norah Jones
SONG 8: "Winner at a Losing Game" by Rascal Flatts
SONG 9: "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day
SONG 10: "Wrapped Up In You" by Garth Brooks
SONG 11: "Higher" by Creed
SONG 12: "I Think I Love You" by David Cassidy
SONG 14: "Who Knew" by Pink
SONG 15: "The Cowboy In Me" by Tim McGraw
SONG 17: "Renegade" by Styx
Wow! That was fun! Everyone should do this one!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
- I have a wonderful husband who works hard for his family and loves me and the kids more than life itself.
- I have smart, beautiful children that amaze me every day.
- I am close to my family; they mean the world to me.
- I have the best BFF in the world who loves me for who I am.
- I have always been able to be home with my kids.
- The little job I do have now is flexible - I pretty much go in when I want and leave when I want.
- I get to go to Disney World at least once a year.
- I get time to myself to do what I want to do, or just do nothing.
- I don't have to watch my weight.
- As great as life here is, I know that my life in Heaven for eternity will be oh so much better than this!!
Monday, April 21, 2008
1) Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
2) Open the book to page 123.
3) Find the 5th sentence.
4) Post it and the next 3 sentences.
5) Tag 5 people.
"Did He bellow a word that incited mountains to rise out of nothing? Did He speak with a smile when He told the hummingbirds to 'be'? Did one long roll of His laughing words spill daffodils across a meadow? So much to wonder about."
From Take Flight! A Sisterchicks' Devotional by Robin Jones Gunn & Cindy Hannan
1) Link whom you tagged and list these rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving a comment on their blog. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
7 facts about Bubba's Sis:
- I have 742 songs on my mp3 player.
- I hate to cook.
- I secretly want a tattoo.
- I weighed 90 pounds when I got married. Two children later I weigh 100 pounds.
- I do not pluck, tweeze, or wax my eyebrows - they are completely au natural.
- I once danced with a professional ballet company.
- I live 4 minutes away from the home I grew up in.
Now I'm supposed to tag a bunch of people, but everyone I know has already done these, so if you want to play along, go ahead! Leave me a comment and I'll come by and check it out!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Friday, April 18, 2008
If it turns out that Bubba's Mom DOES have the gene mutation, then there is a 50% chance that I have it, too. If I have it, there is up to an 85% chance that I will develop breast cancer before I am 70. It also means that I could pass it on to my daughter.
There are a lot of opinions on this matter, and I already know how I feel about it. My question to you is: Would you want to know if you had the breast cancer gene mutation?
Name a color you find soothing.
Using 20 or less words, describe your first driving experience.
I failed my first driver's test and was mortified. I was too nervous and made silly mistakes.
What material is your favorite item of clothing made out of?
Who is a great singer or musician who, if they were to come to your town for a concert, you would spend the night outside waiting for tickets to see?
Without a doubt, BON JOVI!
What is the most frequent letter of the alphabet in your whole name (first, middle, maiden, last,
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Have you ever…
(x) Gone on a blind date
(x) Skipped School
( ) Watched someone die
( ) Been to Canada
(x) Been to Mexico
(x) Been to Florida
(x) Been on a plane
(x) Been lost
(x) Been on the opposite side of the country
( ) Gone to Washington , DC
(x) Swam in the ocean
(x) Cried yourself to sleep
(x) Played cops and robbers
(x) Recently colored with crayons
( ) Sang Karaoke ….
(x) Paid for a meal with coins only?
(x) Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t?
(x) Made prank phone calls
(x) Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of your nose - or other places!
(x) Caught a snowflake on your tongue
(x) Danced in the rain
(x) Written a letter to Santa Claus
(x) Been kissed under the mistletoe
(x) Watched the sunrise with someone you care about
(x) Blown bubbles
(x) Gone ice-skating
( ) Been skinny dipping outdoors
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Friday, April 11, 2008
Thursday, April 10, 2008
You gotta check this out - go to the website and type in your first name; you'll get an amazingly accurate personality profile! Here's mine:
Your name creates a very sensitive, inspirational, and idealistic nature. You have an appreciation for all the fine and beautiful things in life, and could excel in music, art, drama, or literary undertakings, where you could find an expression for your deeper feelings that you would not find otherwise. As a result of your love of the out-of-doors, you would experience the most peace and harmony out in the quiet of nature. Your sensitive nature causes you to lack self-confidence, and to withdraw from arguments or turmoil, as any discord reflects quickly through your nervous system. You cannot stand pressure and desire to work where there is no confusion. This name restricts proper verbal expression; as a result, you are often lonely, craving understanding of others. Yours is a very deep, reflective nature, but others would never know it as you keep your deeper feelings within. Tension resulting from the use of this name would affect the heart, lungs, and respiratory organs, or the nervous system.
I did other people I know and theirs was eerily accurate, too. How accurate is yours??
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
I remembered to get everything we needed at the grocery store.
I remembered to pay the bills.
I remembered to schedule a repairman to look at my non-working oven.
I remembered to actually be here when the repairman showed up.
I remembered to program the DVR to record Hubby's TV shows he likes to watch.
I remembered to write the article I promised to a local magazine (which included interviewing an event planner who, to the tune of $1000, will throw a lovely birthday party for your little girl!).
I remembered to get something out for dinner tonight - and to make it!
I remembered to water the yard.
I remembered to feed the dog.
I remembered to feed the cat.
I remembered to sign the kids' report cards.
I remembered to drop off the dry cleaning.
I remembered to put gas in my van.
I forgot to pick up the prescription.
So I probably won't be sleeping tonight.
- Matthew McConaughy (or is that McCon-A-Hottie?)
- Johnny Depp (Captain Jack Sparrow - 'nuff said.)
- Reese Witherspoon (I loved her in Sweet Home Alabama and Walk the Line)
- George Clooney (Loved him on the small screen, love him on the big screen.)
- Dennis Quaid (Did anyone see him in The Big Easy? He can call me "cher" anytime! Hubba hubba!)
- Ashley Judd (She was awesome in Double Jeopardy. And isn't she adorable?)
- Hugh Grant (He's got so many good movies I love!)
- Owen Wilson (I think he's hilarious!)
- Gwyneth Paltrow (She was BEAUTIFUL in Shakespeare In Love!)
- Kevin Costner (He's in three of the greatest baseball movies ever - Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and For the Love of the Game.)
Monday, April 07, 2008
Sunday, April 06, 2008
Saturday, April 05, 2008
- No one knew this girl was pregnant, even her parents. How on earth can a 14-year-old girl be pregnant - apparently pretty far along - and NO ONE notice??? Now she is saying that she did not know she was pregnant, but I just don't believe that. You can't have a baby living inside of you and not know it.
- How could she go into the bathroom at school and just give birth? I've had babies, and it's not an easy-breezy process, let me tell you. How could no one hear her? How did she know what to do?
- Did she really think she could just flush the baby down the toilet and....what? Go back to class? Pretend nothing happened?
My daughter is 14. I can not even imagine. Has our society made sex so acceptable that even children that young think it's OK? I'm not trying to be judgemental, but 14-year-olds getting pregnant is a problem. If you were a pregnant teen, or have a pregnant teen, I'm sorry if this offends you. But likely you aren't happy about the situation yourself. And I certainly hope anyone in this situation would handle it better than this girl did. Because that was a life - God's creation - killed because his mommy was still a baby herself and didn't have the sense to do the right thing. And now she could be facing murder charges. Tragic, indeed.
Friday, April 04, 2008
Invent a new flower; give it a name and describe it.
It would be a big ol' garish flower with bawdy colors and it would be called the Blooming Idiot.
Name someone whom you think has a wonderful voice.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how clean do you keep your car?
How do you feel about poetry?
I have written poetry all my life - it is a beautiful art form, and a great way to express your feelings and emotions while exercising your creativity at the same time!
What was the last person/place/thing you took a picture of?
See that Wordless Wednesday picture down there? That would be it! I didn't pose him at all - just found him sleeping that way.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
- new carpet
- new oven and microwave
- paint the kids' bathroom
- replace my sliding glass patio door with French doors
- my office has French doors off the master bedroom, but also has a regular door into the hall - I would like to wall in that hall door so the room is only accessible from my bedroom
- fix the small leak in the roof over my bathroom (we have a bucket up in the attic catching drips!)
- fix up my back patio - maybe with a nice deck and lighting and nice outdoor furniture
- remodel/reorganize the master closet
- new toilets
- repair the two zones of the sprinkler system that don't work quite right so ALL the lawn gets watered!