Monday, September 07, 2009

My Love Affair with Chuck Norris, Or How I Spent My Labor Day Weekend

I have a "thing" going with Chuck Norris. We meet up twice a year, usually once in the summer and once over Labor Day weekend, and spend time together in the Piney Woods of Texas. We especially enjoy morning walks thru the woods. It's such a peaceful time, and we love being together. It's perfect. I saw her just this weekend, and I'm counting the days until I can see her again.

Wait. What? Yes, I did say "her".

Chuck Norris is a HORSE!

I met her about a year and a half ago, shortly after the REAL Chuck Norris donated her to Camp Allen. I go to Camp Allen for weekend retreats twice a year - a Summer Camp for Moms and a Labor Day Family Weekend. And I always ride Chuck Norris. She's my favoritest horse in the world - so well behaved and gentle, but enough spirit that she doesn't just plod along in line during the trail ride - we meander from the course a bit, and sometimes trot or even lope along. She loves me. And I love her.

We spent this Labor Day weekend at Camp Allen, the family and I, and we had a GREAT time! Two other families from our church small group went, too, and we enjoyed all the activities and even some relaxation time together. It was a nice getaway to finish up the summer.

We arrived Friday afternoon and got checked in and signed up for our various activities. Friday night at the pavilion by the lake they had a hoedown! The kids learned some rope tricks and enjoyed a friendly tug of war with the other kids before we had a delicious BBQ dinner.



After dinner we enjoyed an evening of square dancing and line dancing - cowboys' favorite ways to dance!






Saturday morning Hubby went fishing, and the kids and I rode horses. It was a magic moment when Chuck and I were reunited - as soon as they brought her out of the stable our eyes met and it was magic!


The kids enjoyed the ride, too. Daughter rode Tealight:



And Little Son rode Junior:



It was a beautiful ride through the woods and alongside the lake - what beautiful views!




After a delicious lunch, we decided to try our hands at archery. Hubby and the kids are quite good! Me? Notsomuch.


(Notice my funky hyper-extended elbow - that made for some nasty bruising on my left arm from the bow string striking it whenever I released. Ow!)



Then we did some canoeing before dinner.




The evening's entertainment was magician John Star - he was very funny and entertaining!

Sunday morning Hubby went fishing again, the kids went to an orienteering class, and I went and rode Chuck again. Then Hubby and I shot some skeet before we ate lunch and headed for home.




I hit 5 of the 25 rounds I shot. Hubby hit 1. Hee hee. (To his credit, he is an excellent marksman - it just wasn't his day.)

So we're back at home now, getting laundry done and preparing for back-to-work and back-to-school. It will be many months before I see Chuck Norris again - there is a Camp Allen "Holiday In the Pines" weekend in December, but we didn't get signed up in time, so it will be summer before I get to ride her again. Sigh. Until then, we'll always have Labor Day weekend.......

5 comments:

D... said...

Yeah, I was bummed about the Holiday in the Pines. I really wanted to go. Maybe next December. Sigh.

And, hey, hubby can always console himself with the fact that he shot more than I did in July. ;)

So, you still didn't sneak Chuck (Lamb says it's short for Charlotte) Norris home? Maybe next trip....

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

No, D.... with all the fishing gear in the back of the van there was just no room for Chuck. :-(

Jenny86753oh9 said...

That sounds like such a fun time. I'd love to do something like that with my guys. You'd think, living in the Ozarks they would have something like that nearby...but I don't think so.

*Sidenote...your elbows pop out?! That's nasty girl!

volunteer north vancouver said...

Great entertainment.....and very beautiful lady...

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Chuck Norris is adorable. It looks like you guys had a great time. :)